Entries are now open for the 2018 Timeless Wisdom International Writing Challenge.
This competition brings together writers aged 60 and over from around the world, with a focus on non-fiction short stories which share some of the wisdom that can only be acquired through age. Selected entries will be collated into up to four books according to the themes below, and published in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand by Exisle Publishing, an established mainstream publishing house with over 25 years of publishing experience. This is a fantastic opportunity for both new and practiced writers to share a powerful message with thousands of readers, see your name in print, and contribute to a beautifully produced book that your friends and family will treasure.
Themes: Each story should be non-fiction and related to one of the themes below, interpreted in your own way:
- Fear and Courage
- Struggle and Success
- Love and Loss
- Human Kindness
Criteria: Our team of editors cannot wait to read your story! Please read the below criteria carefully before submitting your entry.
- Open to writers from around the world
- Your story must be factual, and related to one of the above themes
- While this competition is primarily for writers aged 60 and over, we will accept special entries from younger writers who have a factual story that they feel fits the purpose of the competition, for example a story about a parent or grandparent. If making a special entry as a younger writer, please specify this in your submission
- Your story must be 1000-1500 words
- Use 1.5 spacing and 12+ size font in Times New Roman or Arial, and send your story in a Word document to ensure we can open it and read with ease
- Only digital entries submitted as described below will be accepted – please do NOT post a printed entry to us
- There is no entry fee
- Entries Close September 28 2018.
How to Get Your Entry In: Please email your entry in a Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include all the following exactly as described (failure to do so may result in your submission being lost or deleted):
- Subject: Timeless wisdom submission
- Your full name
- Your postal address (selected entries will receive two free copies of the resulting publishing book)
- Which category best fits your story? (Choose ONE of: Fear and Courage | Struggle and Success | Love and Loss | Human Kindness)
- Are your over 60, or a younger writer making a special entry?
- The title of your story
- Is this story original, unpublished work for which you own exclusive copyright? If not, please provide more detail.
We will securely store your email address and use it to keep you up to date about the competition and to contact the winners – if you decide you want to stop hearing from us or for us to delete your data, we will happily do so. By submitting your story you agree to the terms and conditions (see Website). https://exislepublishing.com/writing-challenge/
Write Africa Write! is PEN South Africa’s call for African writers to say what they wish to say and to eschew the divisions of the past in favour of the idea of one humanity living in peace on one continent. PEN South Africa is affiliated to PEN International – an organisation operating on all six continents that represents writers of the world, defends free expression and encourages literature. A leading voice of literature, PEN brings together poets, novelists, essayists, historians, playwrights, critics, translators, editors, journalists and screenwriters in a common concern for the craft and art of writing and a commitment to freedom of expression through the written word. Any questions regarding awards, competitions, residencies, events, etc., should be sent directly to the relevant organisers. PEN SA attempts to establish that the information received is genuine before sharing it on our website, but we cannot be held responsible should that not be the case. Submissions
Submissions Call for Manatee Books
Submissions deadline: Open
Manatee Books are committed to publishing only the very best stories out there. We are looking for fresh, exciting new talent and are accepting submissions for the following genres:
Psychological Suspense/Domestic Noir
Police Procedurals/Detective Novels
All submissions are accepted electronically via email, and should include;
· The first 20 pages of the manuscript (normal font, 12 point and double spaced)
· A synopsis of your work (no more than 1500 words)
· A cover letter telling us about you and your writing career to date.
Please send all of the above as email attachments in either Word or PDF format to email@example.com We do read every submission that we receive, and aim to get back to you within 4-6 weeks. Please be aware that we do receive hundreds of submissions, and this response time is only a guide. After 6 weeks, if you have not had a response please do contact us.
About Manatee Books: Manatee Books was set up in 2017, by best-selling author Lisa Hall in conjunction with blogger turned freelance publishing guru Liz Barnsley. Our aim is to bring top quality fiction to the digital market. We are a small outfit, intent on publishing only the best of crime and women’s fiction. Our focus is on building the author brand, ensuring that all of our authors receive bestseller treatment through a strong marketing strategy and the knowledge that the Manatee Books team are there to support them through the entire publication journey.
Imagnary House is a boutique publishing house for children’s books and young adult literature in Cape Town, South Africa.
Imagnary House is focused on building a larger market for African children’s authors and illustrators by both igniting the local readership and engaging with international readers, rights’ and literary agents.
Imagnary House is opening their submissions, and are looking to build up their publication list for the next 2 years. What are they looking for? They love stories that are fun and imaginative, but also address current societal issues for children. They want simple stories that mean something and can feed positively into our children’s futures. However, they don’t like didactic or educational texts, and lean towards manuscripts that are diverse and can travel across different cultures and countries.
Imagnary House will consider submissions in the following genres:
• Children’s long form fiction (think Roald Dahl and CS Lewis narratives)
• Young-adult science-fiction, fantasy, or alternative-reality novels
• Comic books and graphic novels
Writers and illustrators can submit their work on Imagnary House’s submissions page.