The South African Writers’ Network (SAWN), based in South Africa, is a GLOBAL SERVICE PROVIDER.
The online company was launched in October 1995 offering writing, editing and publishing services. The incentive to set up a Web presence at that stage was to draw on the Internet as a learning resource to promote ourselves as freelance writers and to market our work to audiences worldwide. While it took persistent hard work and a lot of patience over several years, often writing articles for little or no payment, our efforts in time were rewarded. We have established long-term relationships with clients in the USA, UK, Singapore and South Africa. Our portfolio has grown over many years and now comprises comprehensive writing and editing services, including creative writing, business writing, Web SEO content, mobile phone content, articles for magazines and newspapers, and academic writing. SAWN also provides a platform for other writers to gain access to the wealth of human information on the Internet, enabling them to contribute to this burgeoning network culture, take online courses, enter writing competitions, learn from articles, job opportunities, and access relevant resources [editors, illustrators, graphic designers, photographers, self-publishers and eBook publishers]. The company is well positioned to adapt to the dynamic changes in market conditions due to its core competencies in areas of social media, commerce and publishing.
Typical activities carried out by Theresa Lutge-Smith and Gary Bruce Smith includes the following:
- developing subject matter commissioned by an author, and maintaining originality;
- using literary skills to develop themes and story lines, while making characters and plots believable;
- working to tight deadlines;
- offering recommendations to enhance pre-written work through copy editing (light, medium, heavy, stylistic, structural and developmental;
- undertaking research as required, to verify factual content of written work;
- conducting interviews with people over the telephone or by email;
- submitting material for approval in the required and expected format;
- ghost writing – writing for others under the other person’s name;
- assisting an author to self-publish their work;
- providing a critiquing service to writers;
- writing a review, synopsis and author biography;
- creating book cover designs and content illustrations;
- assisting an author to present a written proposal to a subsidy book publisher (Please Note: SAWN is not a Literary Agent);
- developing a marketing campaign to promote self-published works;
- writing articles on diverse topics for publication in print or online;
- reading books or online sources to gain an understanding of the topic;
- preparing layouts and incorporating graphic images with text;
- we understand the importance of client research and their need for confidentiality, and will sign a legally binding confidentiality agreement if required;
- all work is guaranteed plagiarism free;
- all assignments are held in the strictest confidence – client privacy is a priority;
- keeping abreast with the way the Internet and the face and pace of business is continually evolving, in particular the growth of social business networking, advances in communication and information technology, SEO, and work organization patterns.